Sunday, March 27, 2011

Feeling Ire in Jamaica

I recenlty returned from a weeks stay in Negril, Jamaica.  The island is beautiful but I would not give it my full recommendation it.  As I mentioned, I stayed in Negril, so I needed ground transportation from Montego Bay.  It took about 45 minutes for the bus/van/people mover to fill up.  The driver turned on the cricket match while I waited.  After first I was peeved but when I discovered how long a ride it was, I understood that he would want a full vehicle.  You need to have a bit of patience, even though you want to get to your resort.

I stayed at the Riu Tropical, which oozed Victorian charm.  The staff was friendly and attentive.  They came to my from thrice daily - to clean, to restock the minibar and to turn down the covers.  The food was delicious with a wide variety.  I loved the jerk chicken and curry goat. The beach was white sand and sea blue.  The entertainment was good.  I would recommend it.

The beach is where I had a problem.  I did not mind the regaee singers entertaining me for tip.  I grew up listening to jazz saxophonist in Time Square.  They were excellent.  One wrote songs for people laying on the beach.  It was vendors that annoyed me because they were so persistent.  I had to turn down drug sales several times a day.  I did not mind that when I walked off the resort and walked through a vendors village but not when I am trying to relax on the beach.


Dredlock Rhasta





I went on a tour to the Black River and YS Falls.  It took several hours to get there, the roads were atrocious.  It was worth it to see the crocodiles and the mangroves.  It was a scenic ride with lush vegetation and the mountains providing a back drop.  YS Falls is worth the walk and the swim.  Despite the long ride it was an enjoyable day.


Negril is famous for its sunsets.


If you do not mind being hassled on the beach, Jamaica is worth the trip.  If you are looking for a quiet relaxing time on the beach go to the Dominican Republic.

No comments:

Post a Comment