Sunday, March 25, 2012

Immortality

I read an article about the quest for immortality in Scientific American and decided to use to see how I am on my quest.  According to the article there are four immortality narratives.   The most basic is staying alive.  While no one can stay alive forever, we can extend our lives. I chose to do this by eating a healthy diet and daily exercise. I think I can add another 20 quality years to my life by doing these simple activities.  The second narrative is resurrection - physically rising again with our bodies.  I do not believe in resurrection.  The third narrative is soul, "surviving as some kind of spiritual entity."   While no one is absolutely sure there is a soul, that is why it is called faith, I am following Pascal's wager and living my life to achieve an afterlife. If God does not exist, it does not matter how you wager, for there is nothing to win after death and nothing to lose after death. But if God does exist, your only chance of winning eternal happiness is to believe, and your only chance of losing it is to refuse to believe. As Pascal says, "I should be much more afraid of being mistaken and then finding out that Christianity is true than of being mistaken in believing it to be true." The fourth is legacy to leave an impact through children or our work.  I do not have children but as a teacher I have a major impact on the lives of children every day.  My hope is that they remember the wisdom I have passed on to them.

Will I achieve immortality? I can do what I can to extend my life and have faith that there is an afterlife or at least I will be remembered for the good things I have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment